The City of Alma is currently seeking a City Manager
Supervised By: City Commission
Supervises: Directly supervises all Department Heads. Indirectly supervises all other City employees.
Position Summary: Serves as the chief administrative officer appointed by and receiving policy direction from the City Commission. Plans, develops and implements diverse City services to meet policy requirements and address community needs. Oversees the organization and direction of all City departments and ensures compliance with contractual and regulatory obligations.
Required Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Minimum Qualifications: The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, abilities and minimum qualifications necessary to perform the essential functions of the position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the job.
• A combination of post-secondary training, preferably in business administration or a related field, and progressively more responsible municipal management experience as a Unit Director, an Assistant City Manager, and/or City Manager.
• Demonstrated ability to supervise employees and lead a staff.
• State of Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License, a satisfactory driving records, and the ability to maintain one throughout employment.
• Familiarity with the laws, regulations and professional practices associated with municipal budgeting, financial controls, personnel administration, public information, public meetings and municipal authority.
• Knowledge of the professional principles and procedures of public administration. City Manager 3 Revised 12/5/17
• Knowledge of the statutes and best practices governing community and economic development, contract negotiations, public relations, contract management and records management.
• Experience with and knowledge of union contracts, contract negotiation, contract administration and grievance procedures.
• Demonstrated skill in compiling and evaluating complex information and formulating effective policy and service recommendations.
• Experience implementing and providing diverse programs and services, and directing the utilization of personnel, equipment and other resources.
• Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare comprehensive reports.
• Ability to exercise a high degree of diplomacy and work effectively under stress and in emergency and confrontational situations.
• Ability to communicate effectively and present ideas and concepts orally and in writing and make public presentations.
• Practice establishing effective working relationships and use good judgment, initiative and resourcefulness when dealing with employees, City officials, professional contacts, community leaders, the media, and the public.
• Ability to critically assess situations, problem-solve, and work effectively under stress, within deadlines and changes in work priorities.
• Commitment to attend meetings outside of normal business hours, travel to other locations, and respond to emergencies on a 24-hour basis.
This position is a Grade 11 on the current wage scale.
Salary Range: $93,184.00 - $121,139.20 DOQ
This posting will remain open until filled.
**********The City of Alma is an equal opportunity employer.*************
Interested applicants should submit a City of Alma Employment Application, resume and cover letter to:
Human Resources Manager
525 East Superior Street
Alma, MI 48801
The complete Job Description and City of Alma Application can be found below:
Download a File:
The complete Job Description and City of Alma Application can be found at:
City of Alma Application (PDF)